The mausoleum is a neo-Gothic burial site of the Counts of Asseburg-Falkenstein and is located on the outskirts of Meisdorf in the immediate vicinity of the castle.

In the 18th century, Achatz Ferdinand von der Asseburg owned both Meisdorf Castle and the nearby Falkenstein Castle and had the mausoleum built in the Baroque style of his time from rough pieces of rock.
In the 19th century, Count Ludwig August von der Asseburg (1796 — 1869), head of the Prussian hunting office, completely redesigned the castle and laid out roads to Ballenstedt and Harzgerode on both sides. In his time, a large park and lush meadows surrounded the castle, next to which was a deciduous forest through which a path led to the mausoleum.
He also renovated the dilapidated Falkenstein Castle, as he — like his successor Count Ludwig II — organized numerous court hunts, which were attended by crowned heads and many other well-known personalities.
From the hiking parking lot on the outskirts of Meisdorf, you can reach the mausoleum via the Selke Valley Trail and continue the hike to Selkeblick HWN 204 or Falkenstein Castle HWN 200.
